Hospital Treatment for Overseas Visitors

NHS hospital treatment is not free for everyone. If you are visiting the United Kingdom (UK) or you are not an ordinary UK resident and require treatment in our hospitals, you may have to pay for your treatment. Please contact the Hospital Overseas Visitors Team to obtain estimated costs or to check your NHS eligibility.


Overseas Patients
An overseas patient is someone who is not ordinarily resident in the UK and does not permanently live in the UK. If you are visiting the UK or have lived outside the UK in last 12 months, you may have to pay for the NHS hospital treatment whilst you are here. This is regardless of whether you are a British Citizen, born in the UK, have an NHS number, have National Insurance Number, have property in the UK, currently paying tax, have paid tax in the past or have lived or worked here in the past.


Who is exempt from charges?
Some visitors to the UK are entitled to NHS hospital treatment free of charge. These include people working for UK-based employers and who have paid Health Surcharge or who are covered under certain Reciprocal Agreements.


How can I prove that I am entitled to free hospital treatment?
NHS hospitals have a duty to identify and charge overseas patients for hospital treatment they receive. Hospitals are required to check documentary evidence of entitlement to prove that you are ordinarily resident in the UK.

If you can’t provide the documents you may have to pay a deposit equal to the estimated cost of your treatment before you receive an appointment or treatment. Inline with the UK Charging Regulations patients with outstanding debts are reported to the Home Office and payments are collected through the Debt Collector Agencies and it may affect their UK Visa status or entry to the UK.


Further information

In order to assist patients, data we hold about you may be used to assist identification of potential chargeable patients; the use of your data in this way will not affect your chargeability status. For more information please contact UHCW Overseas Visitors Team, University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust, 5th Floor, Trauma and Orthopaedics, Opposite Ward 52, Clifford Bridge Road, Coventry, CV2 2DX, UK,

Tel: 024 7696 5016 (ext: 25016) or by email at: or by Fax: 02476 965081


For more information, please see the documents below:

You can call 111 when you need medical help fast, but it's not a 999 emergency.  NHS111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones in England.