Did we get it right?

We are listening

We believe the best people to tell us how we are performing are those who have experienced our care and services and so we would appreciate it if you could spare a few moments to give us your views through our online questionnaire which includes the Friends & Family Question. Click here to visit our online Survey Centre 

Patient Experience and Engagement

We have a programme of ways that you can share your views about your care, and also be involved in your local hospitals.

The Trust has been working with patients and stakeholders to co-develop a new Patient and Public Involvement Programme, the new Patient Experience and Engagement Delivery Plan 2018-21 sets out the Trust commitment to:

  • Improving the way we listen, respond and use patient feedback to support improvements
  • Improve the way we develop and manage patient information leaflets
  • Ensure our staff place the Trust values at the centre of care improvements
  • Ensure that patient voice is at the centre of care improvements
  • Improve the patients care environment

If you would like to get involved in service improvements or would like to keep informed of opportunities to get involved with the Trust please email: patientinsight@uhcw.nhs.uk or telephone Julia Flay, Patient Involvement Manager, on: 024 7696 5186.

Find out more in the document, We Care: Patient Experience and Engagement Delivery Plan 2018-2021.  You can download a copy at this link.


View the latest results from feedback left by patients, relatives, carers and visitors. 

We Care Newsletter

Our 'We Care' Newsletter about patient experience can be found here:

Feedback including the Friends and Family Test

Whether you’re a patient, relative, carer or visitor, the Trust wants to hear how you feel about its services.

You can complete a questionnaire on your experiences via paper questionnaires which you will find on all wards and in all departments within the Trust or alternatively you can visit the questionnaire online here. You can also use the QR code located on the We Are Listening posters and business cards located around the Trust which will take you directly to the Trust’s bespoke survey, Impressions. On occasion, the Trust may also contact you by text to ask you the Friends and Family Test question. If you would prefer not to be asked the question via text message please contact the Patient Insight Team on 024 7696 5196.


Our staff are always happy to receive compliments from patients and visitors. If you would like to do this you can speak to a member of staff caring for your or write to us so we can pass it on. The email info@uhcw.nhs.uk is available or, as above, you can complete our online Impressions Survey or a printed copy of this questionnaire can be provided by ward/clinic staff for you to mail back (postage paid) to us.

Our Trust mission is to Care, Achieve and Innovate and our staff are dedicated to providing the best quality of care for our patients. Whilst we like to know when we are doing well it is equally important to learn of any concerns you may have so we can try and resolve them. If you are unhappy with any aspect of care at our hospitals please contact the ward or the manager so that staff can try and offer assistance. This is particularly important if the issues are current as this will give us an opportunity to try and resolve them for you as quickly as possible.

A quick and easy way to say thank you is through our Appreciation Cards. These postcards allow patients and/or their relatives to quickly choose a Trust value (or several) and then add on the back a quick note to describe what the member of staff did which they appreciated.

Hard copies of the post cards are being rolled out to wards and departments for inpatients to use, and you can also complete an online version here.

If you fill in an online version, please send it to the relevant member of staff/department or email it to info@uhcw.nhs.uk

Complaints and concerns

Your complaint or concern may be about something that can be resolved straight away by talking it through with a member of staff. You can approach staff within the service concerned, such as the Ward Manager, or if you would prefer to talk to someone independent of the care, you may value a discussion with PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service).

If you remain unhappy following this, PALS can offer guidance on whether the issues are eligible to be investigated under the NHS Complaints Procedure, which includes investigations of concerns around healthcare, and can assist you in making a formal complaint if necessary.

If you require any help with or further information on using our Feedback services, please contact PALS on 0800 028 4203 or email feedback@uhcw.nhs.uk.Please click here to read an information leaflet about PALS.

Can anyone help with my complaint?  

You can contact ICAS (Independent Complaints Advocacy Service) for assistance with making your complaint.

ICAS for Coventry provided by Healthwatch Coventry
Telephone: 024 7625 2011
Email: ICAS@healthwatchcoventry.co.uk
Website: www.healthwatchcoventry.co.uk

ICAS for Warwickshire Area
Telephone: 0300 456 2370
Email: pohwer@powher.net
Website: http://www.pohwer.net/in-your-area/where-you-live/warwickshire

How can I make a Formal Complaint?

In order to make a formal complaint about the care you have received please write to the Complaints Manager at the following address:

University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust
Clifford Bridge Road Coventry CV2 2DX

Or email us at feedback@uhcw.nhs.uk.

If you are complaining on behalf of a friend or relative permission from the patient will be required in the form of a counter-signature on the letter of complaint. This is to ensure the patient gives consent for us to access their medical records, liaise with external agencies, if needed, and respond to you with our findings. If this raises any questions please telephone 02476 965 198.

Please click here to read an information leaflet about how to make a formal complaint and click here for a template of a sample complaints letter.

If you are writing a complaint on behalf of someone else, that person will need to sign and complete the appropriate consent form which can be found by clicking here.

Alternatively, you can click here for advice from the NHS Complaints leaflet. 

CQC literature on complaints and standards

The CQC (Care Quality Commission) has produced three leaflets around the standards you can expect while in hospital and general information on how to make a complaint.  These are available to download below.

What standards you have a right to expect from the regulation of your hospital (PDF)

Checking your hospital for the care you should expect to get (PDF)

How to complain about a health or social care service (PDF)


Healthwatch Coventry and Healthwatch Warwickshire are the local champions for health and social care.  They are independent and are not part of NHS or care services. They:

  • Answer questions about local NHS and care services
  • Run or link to the Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS), supporting those making a complaint about NHS services
  • Gather information about what people think about NHS and care services to influence the planning and delivery of services
Contact Healthwatch Coventry (about services provided at University Hospital, Coventry, or the City of Coventry Health Centre)

Phone: 024 7625 2011 (Monday to Friday 9.30am - 4.00pm)

Email: info@healthwatchcoventry.co.uk

Website: www.healthwatchcoventry.co.uk

Contact Healthwatch Warwickshire (about services provided at the Hospital of St Cross in Rugby)

Phone: 01926 422823 (Monday to Friday 10.00am - 3.00pm)

Email: info@healthwatchwarwickshire.co.uk  

Website: www.healthwatchwarwickshire.co.uk