Home  |  Contact Us  |  Find us  |  NHS Constitution
Change text size: A  A  A
For Patients And VisitorsFor GPsResearchEducationOur ServicesWork With UsLatest NewsAbout UsSocial Media
Latest News
Information about severe weather 11/12/17 8am
No one should be alone at Christmas
The Friends of St Cross and Ag... read more
RSS Feed
Getting Here

Free Car Parking

Contact Us

Your Wait for Treatment

Your Outpatient Appointment

Your Inpatient Stay

Single Sex Accommodation

Dementia Care at UHCW


Blood Tests & X-Rays

Our Performance

A-Z of Services

Fighting Infection

Facilities and Shops

Help and Support

Your Information

Your Mental Health Rights

Patient Access Policy

Spiritual Care


Did we get it right?
Survey Centre

React to Red Skin Campaign

Hello My Name Is

Hospital Treatment for Overseas Visitors

Did we get it right?

We are listening

We believe the best people to tell us how we are performing are those who have experienced our care and services and so we would appreciate it if you could spare a few moments to give us your views through our online questionnaire which includes the Friends & Family Question.

Click here to visit our online Survey Centre 




View the latest results from feedback left by patients, relatives, carers and visitors

Feedback including the Friends and Family Test

Whether you’re a patient, relative, carer or visitor, the Trust wants to hear how you feel about its services.

You can complete a questionnaire on your experiences via paper questionnaires which you will find on all wards and in all departments within the Trust or alternatively you can visit the questionnaire online here. You can also use the QR code located on the We Are Listening posters and business cards located around the Trust which will take you directly to the Trust’s bespoke survey, Impressions. On occasion, the Trust may also contact you by text to ask you the Friends and Family Test question. If you would prefer not to be asked the question via text message please contact the Patient Insight Team on 024 7696 5196.



Healthwatch Coventry and Healthwatch Warwickshire are the local champions for health and social care.  They are independent and are not part of NHS or care services. They:


Contact Healthwatch Coventry (about services provided at University Hospital, Coventry, or the City of Coventry Health Centre)

Phone: 024 7625 2011 (Monday to Friday 9.30am - 4.00pm)

Email: info@healthwatchcoventry.co.uk

Website: www.healthwatchcoventry.co.uk


Contact Healthwatch Warwickshire (about services provided at the Hospital of St Cross in Rugby)

Phone: 01926 422823 (Monday to Friday 10.00am - 3.00pm)

Email: info@healthwatchwarwickshire.co.uk  

Website: www.healthwatchwarwickshire.co.uk  



Our staff are always happy to receive compliments from patients and visitors. If you would like to do this you can speak to a member of staff caring for your or write to us so we can pass it on. The email info@uhcw.nhs.uk is available or, as above, you can complete our online Impressions Survey or a printed copy of this questionnaire can be provided by ward/clinic staff for you to mail back (postage paid) to us.

Our Trust mission is to Care, Achieve and Innovate and our staff are dedicated to providing the best quality of care for our patients. Whilst we like to know when we are doing well it is equally important to learn of any concerns you may have so we can try and resolve them. If you are unhappy with any aspect of care at our hospitals please contact the ward or the manager so that staff can try and offer assistance. This is particularly important if the issues are current as this will give us an opportunity to try and resolve them for you as quickly as possible.

Complaints and concerns

Your complaint or concern may be about something that can be resolved straight away by talking it through with a member of staff. You can approach staff within the service concerned, such as the Ward Manager, or if you would prefer to talk to someone independent of the care, you may value a discussion with PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service).

If you remain unhappy following this, PALS can offer guidance on whether the issues are eligible to be investigated under the NHS Complaints Procedure, which includes investigations of concerns around healthcare, and can assist you in making a formal complaint if necessary.
If you require any help with or further information on using our Feedback services, please contact PALS on 0800 028 4203 or email feedback@uhcw.nhs.uk.

Complaints FAQ  

What if I don’t want to complain but want to do something? 

We encourage all of our patients, their carers or relatives to speak up if they have been dissatisfied with the standard of care in our Trust. You should tell a member of staff as soon as you are aware of the problem. With most concerns an explanation and reassurance can be provided straight away and any issues resolved. If you don’t feel comfortable doing this you can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS).

Who can complain?

Anyone who is receiving treatment or has received NHS treatment can complain and if you feel your treatment is affected due to raising a concern you should again contact the Complaints Manager. If you are unable to complain yourself you can ask a friend or relative to make the complaint for you. This will require your consent to enable us to take the matter forward, for us to liaise with any other provider involved and to respond to the person making the complaint on your behalf.

Is there a time limit for complaining?

It is important that you make your complaint as soon as possible after the event you wish to complain about, but generally under the NHS Complaints Procedure it is only possible to investigate complaints made:

Can anyone help with my complaint?  

You can contact ICAS (Independent Complaints Advocacy Service) for assistance with making your complaint.

ICAS for Coventry provided by Healthwatch Coventry
Telephone: 024 7625 2011
Email: ICAS@healthwatchcoventry.co.uk
Website: www.healthwatchcoventry.co.uk

ICAS for Warwickshire Area
Telephone: 0300 456 2370
Email: pohwer@powher.net
Website: http://www.pohwer.net/in-your-area/where-you-live/warwickshire

What will happen after I’ve complained?

If we cannot resolve your concern immediately we will acknowledge your concern or complaint within 3 working days. A contact number will be provided to give you the opportunity to ring and discuss your concerns. A thorough and fair investigation will then be carried out and we aim to provide a written response from the Chief Executive within 25 working days. If this timescale cannot be met then we will contact you with an explanation.

What if you don’t resolve my complaint?

It is important to the Trust that we do all we can to resolve your complaint. If you are still dissatisfied after receiving the Chief Executive’s response, the opportunity is there for you to contact the Complaints Service who will be happy to go through the options with you. This may result in further correspondence from us, or a meeting. 

If you’re not happy with our final response to your complaint and would like to take the matter further, you can contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. The Ombudsman makes final decisions on complaints that have not been resolved by the NHS, government departments and some other public organisations. The service is free for everyone. To take a complaint to the Ombudsman, go to www.ombudsman.org.uk/making-complaint or call the helpline 0345 015 4033. It is important you make your complaint as soon as you receive our final response as there are time limits for the Ombudsman to look into complaints. 

How can I make a Formal Complaint?

In order to make a formal complaint about the care you have received please write to the Complaints Manager at the following address:

University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust
Clifford Bridge Road Coventry CV2 2DX

Or email us at feedback@uhcw.nhs.uk.

If you are complaining on behalf of a friend or relative permission from the patient will be required in the form of a counter-signature on the letter of complaint. This is to ensure the patient gives consent for us to access their medical records, liaise with external agencies, if needed, and respond to you with our findings. If this raises any questions please telephone 02476 965 198.

Please click here to read an information leaflet about how to make a formal complaint and click here for a template of a sample complaints letter.

If you are writing a complaint on behalf of someone else, that person will need to sign and complete the appropriate consent form which can be found by clicking here.

Alternatively, you can click here for advice from the NHS Complaints leaflet. 

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) 

PALS is the Patient Advice and Liaison Service which is able to help you with any concerns, questions or difficulties you may be experiencing with your care or Trust services.  

PALS are there to help if you do not want to make an official complaint, but do have an enquiry, concern or difficulty that you would like us to try and resolve for you. In these instances PALS will be happy to help you and they can be contacted on 0800 028 4203 or email your queries on feedback@uhcw.nhs.uk.   

Please click here to read an information leaflet about PALS.

CQC literature on complaints and standards


The CQC (Care Quality Commission) has produced three leaflets around the standards you can expect while in hospital and general information on how to make a complaint.  These are available to download below.

What standards you have a right to expect from the regulation of your hospital (PDF)

Checking your hospital for the care you should expect to get (PDF)

How to complain about a health or social care service (PDF)

Rate this page: