Skip to main content

Who else may be involved in your care

A wide range of health professionals might be involved in your care over the years.


If advice and support is needed to help maintain weight and malnutrition, then you may be referred to a dietician. When Parkinson’s disease becomes more complex, you may experience more involuntary movements (dyskinesia) which results in you using up more energy. The dietician can help you to manage your weight and ensure you are taking in the right balance of nutrients and a balanced diet.

Palliative Care

It is important to know that Palliative care is not just for ‘end of life’ care. It is an approach we use to ensure that we try and maintain your quality of life when your disease is advanced. It is a way of supporting you and your family and signposting you to other healthcare professionals who can help to manage your symptoms.

Symptoms that we can help with may include pain, immobility, loss of appetite and psychological problems.

Your Parkinson’s Disease Nurse Specialist or the Palliative care team can also support you in making decisions about your future care wishes.

Psychologists and counsellors

You may be struggling to come to terms with your diagnosis, or you may be experiencing anxiety or depression. It is extremely important not only to look after your physical health but also your mental health. There may be a time when you need to seek support from a counsellor or a psychologist. They can help you to talk through personal and emotional matters which you may be having difficulty overcoming.


Pharmacists do not only advise you on your medication. They can also help in providing you with information about ways to make it easier if you are having problems taking your pills from the strips or bottles or even taking tablets on time. There are many aids which are available to make life easier. These include pill timers or watches which vibrate when pills are due as well as dosette boxes or blister packs for tablets.

Updated 19 November 2021